Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Time

Ephesians 5:11-16

Don't waste your time on useless work, mere busywork, the barren pursuits of darkness. Expose those things for the sham they are. It's a scandal when people waste their lives on things they must do in the darkness when no one will see. Rip the cover off those frauds and see how attractive they look in the light of Christ.

Wake up from your sleep

Climb out of your coffins,

Christ will show you the light!

So watch your step. Use our head. Make the most of every chance you get. These are desperate times.



I keep thinking of that ten months Jason lived here with us. Did we make the most of our time? He was busy; I was busy. Was I busy doing useless work? Did I make the most of the time he was here? I have good memories of attending church, going to movies, going to dinner--what about those times when we were just at home--doing nothing. I wish now we had talked--really talked about the important things--the things that matter. Jason was different with me than he was with his friends. I saw him with his friends and Carson and Allison; he was funny, silly, talkative, but he and I could sometimes just sit and watch television together, saying nothing. Did I squelch his true personality when he was around me? I have few regrets about my relationship with him, but I do regret not connecting on a deep level with him when he was here.
I wish I had made the most of our time together.

1 comment:

Karla Hoffmann said...

Debbie

My name is Karla Delaney, I am John and Deb Delaney's daughter. I don't know if you have received a copy of Jake's "speech" he shared with all of us at the memorial service in Gordon, but this blog made me reflect back on that speech. Jake talked about "good time" and the different meanings that saying might have. Jason always had a "good time" and made everyone around him have a "good time", but he also made the best of the time he had here with us. He was the "right hand man" to everyone on the ranch, especially my dad. No matter what he was doing or needed to get done, he always made TIME to do whatever everyone else needed of him too. He definitely lived each day to the fullest and I will cherish the time that I had with him for the rest of my life.