Monday, October 13, 2008

Religious smooth talk

Ephesians 5:5-10
Don't let yourselves get taken in by religious smooth talk. God gets furious with people who are full of religious sales talk but want nothing to do with him. Don't even hang around people like that.
You groped your way through that murk once, but no longer. You're out in the open now. The bright light of Christ makes your way plain. So no more stumbling around. Get on with it! The good, the right, the true--these are the actions appropriate for daylight hours. Figure out what will please Christ, and then do it.

Believe me I've heard my share of religious sales talk--the kind of talk that makes me feel not just discomfort but embarrassment. Many years ago I read a book called something like Following Jesus without Embarrassing God. I feel very strongly that some of the most prominent Christians in our nation today are an embarrassment to God. They do more harm than good to further the kingdom. I don't consider myself to have the gift of discernment, but I do have the Holy Spirit who quickens my heart and mind when I hear someone use platitudes and quote scripture out of context to explain events that are taking place in our world.
I don't want to be guilty of trying to say the right thing and saying my words are from God.
The only way I can know God's message is by reading His Word.
What does all of this have to do with this blog? I don't really know, but I feel an urgency to share the gospel in the most succinct way possible.
How can I get through losing my firstborn? Because I have not once believed that he ceased to exist on September 20, 2008. I know he knew Jesus died for his sins, I know he accepted Jesus as his Savior, and I know that he is now in heaven--fully alive.
I don't want to turn into a religious fanatic who turns people away; I want to continue to reach out to my friends and family who need Jesus by showing them kindness and compassion.
I have family and dear friends who have not accepted Jesus. They all have different reasons; some have heard the truth but have not accepted; some have been turned off by "religious smooth talk," others believe they are ok because they are basically "good." What can I do to reach them?
One of the reasons I have continued to drive 23 miles to church is that I am seeing adults baptized on a regular basis. Someone is reaching them; how are they doing it? How do they get a person to visit a church for the first time? I know the music is great, the preaching is solid, but how do you get them in the door to hear the music and preaching? How do they break down the barriers that keep people from God's salvation?
I don't want Jason's death to be for nothing. I want something good to come from this tragedy. If I am going to spend the rest of my life without him, I want to see something positive come about because of his death. If you are reading this and you are a Christian who knows God's salvation, I'm going to ask you to pray with me. Pray for our friends and family who need to accept Jesus's sacrifice for their sins.

2 comments:

Rita said...

Can you help me rely on the strength of God and give my issue to him to help me with. Your strong faith has been helpful over the lst few weeks.

Humphrey said...

Rita,
Send me an email. I cleaned out my inbox and deleted some addresses that I should have kept. Yours is one of them.

I don't know how much help I can be, but if talking through your issue will help, I can listen.

Debbie