Thursday, October 30, 2008

I Will Rise Above

I bought myself an ipod for my birthday; who would have ever thought that I would even want one. I got it to listen to audiobooks while I'm walking, but I put some music on it tonight and have been listening to Rissi Palmer's music. If you are not familiar with her, check her out. She is a little country, a little bluesy, a little gospel. Most of her songs are love songs or love gone wrong songs, but the last one on the cd is called "I'm not of this World." Even though I have heard the song many times, I don't think I ever listened to the lyrics closely until tonight. "When it's my time for leavin', how sweet it's gonna be; you can come along if you believe." A simple truth-why do we complicate it?

Colossians 1:13-14
God rescued us from dead-end alleys and dark dungeons. He's set us up in the kingdom of the Son he loves so much, the Son who got us out of the pit we were in, got rid of the sins we were doomed to keep repeating.

When I think about the pits Jesus has rescued me from, I am amazed and grateful. Some of those pits were physical, some emotional, and others spiritual. All three were so deep that I couldn't get myself out. I had to have help. Beth Moore has a book called Get out of That Pit that teaches that some pits we accidentally fall in, some we are thrown into by people or circumstances, and others we jump in willingly. I've been in all three types at some time in my life. It's embarrassing to think that I have known God's truth since childhood, but I ignored His truth and went my own way for many years.

I think this is called Stream of Consciousness blogging. Nothing is connected-just the thoughts that are coming to me.

No comments: