Thursday, October 23, 2008

Pray about everything

Philippians 4:5-7
Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.

These are familiar verses to those of us who follow Jesus. The advice is good; practicing the advice is not so easy. I can look at the events of the past years and see that God worked things out for us as good as they could be. Jason spent time with the people he loved--established relationships with some and renewed relationships with others. I have to admit I worried about him, but I was concerned for things of this world. Was he taking care of his health? Finances? All of those things are trivial. I prayed for him daily. For several years I have kept a prayer journal; I haven't been able to go back and read them since Jason's death, but I can assure you they are full of prayers for the spiritual, emotional, and physical safety of my family. I guess I thought it was a guarantee that God would take care of them--some kind of spiritual good luck charm. Since Jason's accident I have felt vulnerable; I can't keep anyone safe from this world.
I am going to have to rely on these verses to get me back to the "Pray about everything" way of thinking. I have survived losing a child because I have people praying for me. I feel their prayers at dark moments each day. Continue to pray for me--pray that I will feel God's wholeness and will settle down.

No comments: