Friday, October 24, 2008

His most excellent harmonies.

Philippians 4:8-9
Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious--the best, not the worst, the beautiful, not the ugly, things to praise, not things to curse. Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies.

Controling the thoughts that go into my mind is key. I can't control the thoughts that come to me, but I can control the things that I meditate on. I know the healthiest way to this is to continue to read God's word, listen to music that uplifts, read positive advice from Godly writers. For the past several years I have had trouble watching the news--too much tragedy, too much evidence that our society is imploding, but now I can't watch even the television shows that I used to watch. I'm sensitive to the point that I just turn off the television and reading anytime something comes on that makes me uncomfortable. It's hard to respond appropriately to the silliness of the shows that last season I didn't want to miss.
I must focus on true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious--the best, not the worst.
That's difficult to find in our society today, but it is available if we want to look for it.

No comments: