Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Prepared for this--never.

Ephesians 6:13+

Be prepared. You're up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it's all over but the shouting, you'll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You'll need them throughout your life.

How can a person prepare for such a great loss? It can't be done. For many things we have to go through in our lives, we can talk to someone who has experienced what we are facing in advance. No one puts themselves through the loss of a child in advance. We don't want to even think about such a horrible tragedy, much less prepare for it. I never in my wildest imagination thought about what "this" would feel like, but I know now that the weapons I had in my arsenal, God-issued weapons, have helped me handle this loss.
I'm so thankful to my parents, sisters, pastors, Sunday school teachers, friends who have contributed to my faith. I'm applying it today more than at any time in my life. Continue to pray for me and my family.

1 comment:

janna said...

I will miss this blog for the next few days, many times I do not respond, simply because there are no words to say. I look to your blog everyday for help in my healing, I feel selfish but your words are so inspirational to me. Hard to believe Monday will be one month.............Some ways it feels like just last week. My family will be having Dinner with Jeff's brother Friday evening. They have not spoke since their Mother's death, please pray for both of them to find peace with this situation. Life's way too short for so many people. Love ya, Janna