Monday, October 6, 2008

God's Word

For the past year I have been doing my quiet time using The Message. I don't exclusively read it, but it has been interesting and fun to read the Bible in Contemporary Language. If you have one, read the first book of Psalms ; it will crack you up. I have had so many people tell me that they are following this blog every morning that I decided to make it a part of my quiet time. I was looking at Psalms when I flipped back a page too much and read an interesting passage in Job. Now don't get me wrong, I am not comparing myself to Job. I have experienced loss, but nothing like his. What I read said this:
I Babbled On About Things Far Beyond Me
Job 42:
I'm convinced. You can do anything and everything.
Nothing and no one can upset your plans.
You asked, "Who is this muddying the water
ignorantly confusing the issue, second-guessing my purpose.
I admit it. I was the one. I babbled on about things far beyond me
made small talk about wonders way over my head.
You told me. Listen, and let me do the talking.
Let me ask the questions. You give the answers.
I admit I once lived by rumors of you,
now I have it all firsthand--from my own eyes and ears
I'm sorry--forgive me. I'll never do that again. I promise!
I'll never again live on crusts of hearsay, crumbs of rumor.

I can't tell you the times I have "babbled on about things far beyond me" "made small talk about wonders way over my head" These past two weeks have shown God to me in a way that I have never seen him before. The line "now I have it all firsthand" is true beyond measure. I have done private and group Bible studies and thought I knew who God was, what I meant to Him, and what He meant to me, but now I have it all firsthand. Without fail He has given me strength when I needed it, comfort when I was in despair, placed someone in my path that has knowledge or talents that I needed at the very moment I needed them.
It started with making preparation for the service (notice I'm not able to call it that other word yet). We were looking for a large enough facility for his service, Jodi Roberts walked in and made a few calls to see if we could use the Church of Christ's new building. It was a fitting comfortable, beautiful place for such a large crowd. Kelli Kuhn came out as we were discussing the flowers. She and her friend at Bouquets of Blessings do beautiful, unusual arrangements. She brought a book back, we chose the flowers, and they put together a beautiful arrangement over a saddle.
My cousin, Carolyn, brought me a CD that her daughter recorded just to listen to for my own comfort. The song "The Promise" said just what I wanted the friends and family to hear from me. I could't talk to all of them, but I could give them my heartfelt message through Jamie's song.
I will be standing in front of a group of teenagers in a few hours. They are all going to be worried about their grades, their final, themselves. God is going to provide the strength and patience I need just when I need it. I don't want to get mad as their selfishness, hurt by their insensitivity, frustrated by their lack of interest in learning. I want to show strength and courage, kindness and compassion, love and respect. I want them to have the grade that is fair.

My phone rang just after 6 AM. It was my nephew Gary who calls often to tell me that he is thinking of me. He told me that Tony and I are the tribal elders, and the family is going to be looking up to us. Pray for me that I handle that responsibility the right way. God is moving among my family members. I am having visitors come with me to church that I have invited many times, but they wouldn't come. Jason's death has opened some eyes; I hope it can open some hearts.

6 comments:

Mel said...

Debbie,
You have been and will continue to be an inspiration to many of us! Know that you have been in my prayeres alreday this morning and will be all day. You are going to be great! Thank you for being one of my pillars and someone that I can look up to.

Anonymous said...

Debbie, you're in my thoughts today and always.

janna said...

Hang in there "Elder" your doing great! I look forward to reading your blog everyday, sometimes I check it more than oncee a day just to see if you write during the day or only in the middle of the night. I wonder how you have the ability to write so well at that hour of the day. I'm praying for you all day today. Love ya, Janna

Marla said...

Your rambling words are such a comfort to me. I am totally amazed by your grace and understanding. God brought us together many years ago and what a blessing your are to me. Thank you for being my friend.

Love ya more
Marla

kajowwojak said...

Mrs. Humphrey,

I read through your entire blog just now. And I really must be honest in saying that I was only planning to scan through it, but I read your first post, and I coud NOT stop reading. This writing is strong and emotional, and I cant say anything else but sorry for your loss. This is really hard for you, I understand, but for you to be able to write something this emotionally strong is something else.

Wishing you the best, Lane.

K. D. said...

Hope your doing better! Let us know if we can help with anything! I can always come and grade papers and help you with anything, I'm right down the road and bored!! Your Faith in God is amazing, and your trust as well. We are now back at Freewill...miss you being there! Anyways anytime you need help let me know! I'm happy to do it! Kasey