Friday, October 10, 2008

Anger

Ephesians 4:26-27
Go ahead and be angry. You do well to be angry--but don't use your anger as fuel for revenge. And don't stay angry. Don't go to bed angry. Don't give the Devil that kind of foothold in your life.

I don't know about al of you, but anger does a real job on me. When I get angry at someone, something, some injustice, I can dwell on it for days. According to this scripture, I should resolve my anger before I go to bed. Tough teaching. How many nights in my life have I lain awake letting anger and resentment fester in me when I should have turned it over to God, turned out the light, and gone to sleep. I hope there is no pie chart in heaven telling us how we spent our thinking time here on earth. How embarrassing for a person who is supposed to follow the teachings of Christ. Jesus got angry with the Pharasees, but he did't get revenge on them; on occasion he got angry at his disciples because they fell asleep when he told them to pray, but he didn't pout and not speak to them again. I'm a pouter; ok I said it; is there a support group for pouters? When I'm in one of my moods, my family knows to leave me alone for awhile, and I'll get over it. What an awful witness to them of what a Christian is supposed to be. Pray for me that I will control my emotions-not pout until I get my way.
I'm angry about Jason's wreck. I prayed for his safety, but he died anyway. I have thought for the last almost three weeks that my prayers were useless, but I can't stop praying for my family. I know I won't ever know why this tragedy had to happen, but I hope that in time I can get beyond the bitterness that is trying to gain a "foothold" in my life. That anger and bitterness does not come from God.

1 comment:

janna said...

As you know I went to Camp Classen with Hallie this week, I had to go and have a good time with her, I was determined not to cry for 3 days and a I made it! But I pulled in the garage at 1:45 and was reading your blog by 2:00 and crying by 2:05. I could not wait to get home and read! I have NOT even checked my email or phone messages yet. Please know you have been on my mind all week, just couldn't get good phone service on the side of a Mountain. I'm so happy to be home, but still so sad for our loss. I just feel an overwhelming sense of emptiness and Jason was not even a part of my daily life. When will the hurting stop. Janna