Thursday, October 9, 2008

Time to hit the floor running.

Before I can begin my busy day, I must sit quietly, read, pray, reflect.
The passage I read this morning is again in The Message (if you don't know what that is, it is a Bible in contemporary language). Don't use it as a study Bible, but it is interesting to read for inspiration and reflection.
Today's passage is Ephesions 4:13-16.
He handed out gifts of apostle, prophet, evangelist, and pastor-teacher to train Christians in skilled servant work, working within Christ's body, the church, until we're all moving rhythmically and easily with each other, efficient and graceful in response to God's Son, fully mature adults, fully developed within and without, fully alive like Christ.
No prolonged infancies among us, please. We'll not tolerate babes in the woods, small children who are an easy mark for impostor. God wants us to grow up, to know the whole truth and tell it in love--like Christ in everything. We take our lead from Christ, who is the source of everything we do. He keeps us in step with each. His very breath and blood flow through us, nourishing us so that we will grow up healthy in God, robust in love.

I have heard so many times these past weeks, "You are so Strong." Believe me I am not strong. Any strength I am able to exhibit comes from God. I am so thankful that my mother made sure I was equipped for this life. If she hadn't made sure I was in Sunday School and church, if she hadn't been the ultimate Christian witness to me, if she hadn't been patient with me in my "silly seasons," I might find myself in complete despair. We live in a fallen world where tragedy knocks us around. My mom taught me how to fight back with the only weapon that works. If she had failed to do her job as a Christian mother, I could be angry, bitter, despondent right now. I tried to be the kind of mother she was; I couldn't hold a candle to her faith when I was younger, but I took my children to church and tried to live a good example for them. I hope Carson nor Allison ever have to face this kind of loss, but whatever life hands them, I pray that I equipped them to handle it in faith and grace.
Jason did; he never exhibited any bitterness to me. The boy had experienced loss--his grandad, his high school girlfriend was killed in a car accident and buried on his 21st birthday, his best friend's son was killed in a car accident, his marriage ended badly, but he didn't fold. He knew that Jesus was still there through all of the pain. He spent those ten months in church with me under preaching that taught him a solid way to live. I thank all of the Sunday School teachers, preachers, youth workers, Cowboy Church members for continuing what I tried to start in our home. May God Bless you All.

2 comments:

nicki said...

I have been reading your BLOG for about 7-10 days now and at first I was wondering how you had the strength to write this - now I know.
I can not even imagine your loss but I can see the strength that God has given you. I lost my first husband to leukemia (Agent Orange) at the age of 25 and we had only been married for 6.5 months; but a child - I can not even go there.
I also was raised by very Christian, God-fearing parents. My dad actually built the church that we attended until I was 9 y.o. (he was a building contractor). I think we were at that church every time the doors were open - or so it felt. :)
Quickly I just wanted to share with you what I do when I can not find the words to pray; due to circumstances going on in my life. What I have been doing is reciting one of my ole favorite Gospel songs that I was raised on and I was amazed at how much peace I feel when I do this.
It goes like this:
I've heard an old, old story how a Savior came from Glory, how he gave his life on Calvary to save a wretch like me, and than I cried Dear Jesus, come and heal my broken spirit and SOMEHOW Jesus came and brought to me the Victory. Oh Victory in Jesus, my savior forever, he sought me and bought me with His redeeming blood, he love me ere I knew him and all my love is due him, he plunged me to Victory beneath the cleansing flood. (you might want to check the Baptist Hymnal for the rest of it)
Anyway, please continue to give me something to read each morning.
Nicki Sunderland, Shelley's mom.

D said...

I remember the night before Andrea's funeral I had literly ran out of the funeral home and there Jason was. he said nothing just grabbed me and held on tight. Alot of memories have come flooding back to me lately. and alot of them have had Jason in them, he and Andrea let me tag along with them and I always have had a soft spot in my heart for him. I will never forget what he did for me that day without saying a word...Donette