Sunday, October 19, 2008

How are you?

What do you say when people ask how you are? I have seen several people this weekend that I haven't seen in a while--some I haven't seen at since before Jason's death. They always ask the same question--how are you guys doing? I keep saying, "We're ok." That's the best I can do right now. Will I ever be able to say, "We're good," or will spend the rest of my life just ok. I am having a difficult time believing that a month has gone by. Even though I have been told that the pain lessens, I can't imagine what it will be like to get beyond this pain. How can I ever find myself not thinking of Jason and feeling this weight of sadness and loss. We took flowers to the cemetery Saturday morning. I looked around the area and saw Heather Harwell, Kenny Cook, Bobbie Cook , and I thought of the other grieving parents. Is there a time-table that will tell me
when I will feel whole again, or does that never happen? Will I always feel like a part of me is missing? I keep thinking that the first year will be the most difficult--once we have done everything once, Thanksgiving, Christmas, his birthday, the anniversary of his death--it will be easier for us. I don't want to think that this pain will stay as fresh as it is now, but I can't imagine ever being truly happy without him.

1 comment:

Mel said...

I appreciate your honesty! I know that this continues to be difficult. Know that on the outside, (you say, well you don't know the inside) you are holding up amazingly. Thanks for always being someone of faith to look to. You have and are continuing to make your mother proud by exhibiting the same faith that you admired in her.