Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Timothy

I Timothy 1:5-7
The whole point of what we're urging is simply love--love uncontaminated by self-interest and counterfeit faith, a life open to God. Those who fail to keep to this point soon wander off into cul-de-sacs of gossip. They set themselves up as experts on religious issues, but haven't the remotest idea of what they're holding forth with such imposing eloquence.

Timothy has always been one of my favorite characters in the Bible because he was raised by a Jewish mother and a Greek father. I worried that my boys would not think being a Christian was manly, that church was for women because I took them to church by myself. I am so thankful for the mentors in their lives--the Pauls to their Timothy. They had pastors, friends, fathers of friends, youth ministers, uncles that showed them that being a Christian was indeed a manly way of life. Paul was Timothy's teacher; he taught him to be a follower of Jesus and to be a leader in the church in Ephesus.
The above scripture shows that Paul's teaching was practical. We are to love. That seems to be a theme throughout this blog. Every time I am reminded of an important teaching, it contains the word--love. It is so easy to love the lovable-not a challenge at all, but it is work to love "uncontaminated by self-interest and counterfeit faith." Truthfully I don't think it is possible without Jesus to help us. We can only have a life "open to God" if we are followers of Jesus. It is not politically correct to make such a statement today, but I believe it with all my heart.

No comments: