Saturday, December 20, 2008

II Timothy 3:1-4
Don't be naive. There are difficult times ahead. As the end approaches, people are going to be
self-absorbed,
money-hungry,
self-promoting,
stuck-up,
profane,
contemptuous of parents,
crude,
coarse,
dog-eat-dog,
unbending,
slanderers,
impulsively wild,
savage,
cynical,
treacherous,
ruthless,
bloated windbags,
addicted to lust,
and allergic to God.
They'll make a show of religion, but behind the scenes they're animals. Stay clear of these people.

If I read the paper too closely or watch the evening news, I get so depressed by the horrible stories of crime and corruption. I prefer living in my own world--completely oblivious of the facts. Now I have scriptural support for not watching the news. It says right here "Stay clear of these people." I'm perfectly justified in associating myself with people who do not fit the above description and burying my head in the sand. I live with enough grief; I can't take on other people's grief too.
I have noticed that since Jason's death, I can't watch the television shows or read the books I used to like. It isn't that I was watching or reading really bad stuff, but if you look at today's most popular shows, they can all be described with the list above. I just know that I have become desensitized to language or behavior that a few years ago would not have been on prime time.
I have to work so hard today to maintain emotional balance that I can't allow myself to be drawn in to the drama of characters who seem "allergic to God."
I remember being in the hospital with my mom during the last week of her life. She couldn't communicate with us very well toward the end. I asked her if she wanted to watch Days of our Lives, her "story." She shook her head no and mouthed, "I quit it." I understand that completely now.

No comments: