Sunday, December 7, 2008

Do you need me?

I go to a large church. I haven't always. When my kids were little, I went to smaller churches that had familiar faces in the nursery and children's church each week. If one of my kids needed me, someone would come and tap me on the shoulder and tell me I needed to go see about my kid. The church I go to now has a clever system for notifying parents that they are needed. Each child is given a number when they go in, and the number is flashed on the big screen if a parent is needed. That happened this morning, and I noticed all the young mothers looking for their numbers to see if their kid was the one who needed a mom. I wish that could happen in real life. Your adult kid needs you, and his or her number flashes across the sky so that you could go help them. That may be the kind of system God has in heaven. We get ourselves in trouble and need God, our number flashes across the heavens, and God comes to our aid. My number has been flashing all weekend. I need His strength and comfort. I need to be reassured, like a child needs reassurance, that He hasn't abandoned me.

No comments: