Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Shopping with a smile

I Timothy 3:15-16
This Christian life is a great mystery, far exceeding our understanding, but some things are clear enough.
He appeared in a human body,
was proved right by the invisible Spirit,
was seen by angels.
He was proclaimed among all kinds of peoples,
believed in all over the world,
taken up into heavenly glory.

At this time of year, while we are celebrating Christmas, it seems to me that denominational barriers break down. We all have different ways of celebrating the holidays. Some denominations have more rituals than others, but those who truly believe in Jesus agree on one thing. If Jesus had not been born, He could not have died for our sins. That's really all that matters. Christians get frustrated by the commercialization of the holiday, but the truth is that people are more open to God at this time of year than any other. The music of Christmas triggers memories for many, memories of childhood Christmas programs. Hearts are tenderized by the good will that surrounds us at this time. People who don't give to charity all year long will reach out to those who need help.
Christmas has often been stressful for me because I have focused too much on the shopping, cooking, and events of the season. I have worried about how to pay for all the gifts and missed the point of the holiday. I know my perspective has been forever changed after Jason's death. I would love to be purchasing gifts for him, even if it caused me to stretch my dollar a little farther. From this point on, I promise to celebrate the fact that I have family and friends that I can buy for. I don't have to overspend, but I am going to carefully and joyfully buy gifts and find ways to honor Jason's memory.

No comments: