Monday, December 8, 2008

Simple faith and plain truth

I Timothy 2:4-7
He wants not only us but everyone saved, you know, everyone to get to know the truth we've learned. that there's one God and only one, and one Priest-Mediator between God and us--Jesus, who offered himself in exchange for everyone held captive by sin, to set them all free. Eventually the news is going to get out. This and this only has been my appointed work, getting this news to those who have never heard of God, and explaining how it works by simple faith and plain truth.

It really is simple; why do we make salvation so difficult. There is one God and one way to get to him--Jesus. That's simple enough. I'm like Paul; I want everyone to be saved, yet I don't know how to tell them that. I keep thinking that the opportunity will present itself for me to talk to my family and friends who haven't accepted the sacrifice that will set them free. Is it possible to be captive and not know it? I think it is. We can be held captive by our jobs, our relationships, our habits, our addictions, our money, our will, our pride, even our intellect. Our intellect tells us that this doesn't make sense. Why would God become a man and die for sinners? That's a ridiculous notion, but it is the plain truth. I am a thinker; I don't like to take someone else's word for things; I want to find out for myself. If there is one thing I have learned since Jason's death, it is that God is real. I believe with all my heart that Jesus is who He claimed to be and that accepting his sacrifice is essential for getting to heaven. I also believe that following His teachings while here on this earth is the best way to live. Do I always follow his teaching? I wish I could say yes, but I fall so short. It is not about what I "do" that might be wrong, it is more about what happens in my mind--the doubt, the anger, the emotions that do not honor God. Since Jason's death, I have experienced all of these. I need to get back to that "simple faith and plain truth."

No comments: