Wednesday, November 12, 2008

What would Paul say about me?

The last part of Chapter 4 of the letter to the Colossians is a list of people and a comment about each one. Tychicus is a trusted minister and companion in the service of the Master, Onesimus is one of you and has become a trusted dear brother, Mark and Justus are the only ones left from the old crowd who have stuck with me in working for God's kingdom, Epaphras has been a trooper--tireless in his prayers for you.
Years ago Point of Grace had a song called "What's He Gonna Say About Me" that asks what Jesus will say about us when we get to heaven--of course, that's the important question, but I can't help but wonder what Paul would say about me and my walk with Christ. I'm afraid I wouldn't measure up in so many areas. Do I pray enough, study enough, worship enough, give enough? No, not when you think about what Jesus has done for me. Fortunately for all of us, Jesus did the work; we just accept his work on our behalf. We don't have to make a check list and log so many hours of prayer, worship, study, keep track of our financial gifts, keep a record of volunteer hours. Can you imagine hauling all of that with us to heaven's gate? Aren't you glad that his "yoke is easy; his burden is light." We could never "do" enough to offset the things we have left undone. Again I wonder if when we get to heaven there will be a bar graph showing us how we spent our time, talents, money. I certainly hope not; I think it might make me cry and there will be no tears in heaven, so I'm safe. Whew!

1 comment:

Mel said...

If I were the one doing the saying, I would say, "faithful friend and spiritual warrior."