Thursday, November 6, 2008

Colossians 3:12-14

So, chosen by God for this new life of love, dress in the wardrobe God picked out for you; compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline. Be even-tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an offense. Forgive as quickly and completely as the Master forgave you. And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garmet. Never be without it.



It seems to me that there is really nothing to add to these verses. If we all consistently exhibited the characteristics above, the world would be so impressed that they would be desperate to find out who we serve and join us. The Christians that I admire most exhibit these traits. I guess I never thought about the fact that they choose to dress themselves in these characteristics. I believe that we have personality traits that we are born with, but I don't think we are incapable of actively changing some of the traits that are not very Christlike. I wonder if the people whose natural personality is compassionate and kind realize what a head start they have in life. I've done the personality tests--one says I'm an otter, the other one says I'm orange--what they both say is that I am more interested in having a good time than getting the job done. I always wanted to test strong in the golden retriever or blue catagory. Those people are naturally kind and sensitive to others--it must be so much easier to exhibit Christian traits when your natural personality coincides with these verses. The only thing is that God created all of us, and that means we all start with whatever traits we were born with and then we have to temper them so that we do not embarrass God. Some of us just have to make more changes than others.

No comments: