Sunday, November 9, 2008

I'm Alive

When we've been there ten thousand years
bright shining as the sun
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we first begun.

If there is one criticism I have had of my church, it is that they haven't included old traditional hymns in their worship as much as I would like. That has changed in the past several weeks. We have begun singing one old hymn each week. Usually is the old words to new music, but it is still familiar.
My reason for wanting to sing the old songs is personal. I was raised in church, but I haven't always attended church. From the time I was 18 until I was about 27, I only attended occasionally, but my spirit was moved by the music as much as by the sermons when I did attend. The new songs may reach those who have not been in church, but those who are returning after an absence can be reached by the familiar hymns.
This morning we sang a medley that included "Amazing Grace" with Cass and Elizabeth singing "I'm Alive" in the background. I thought of Jack Richey who was my pastor when I was a kid. He always sang the third verse slower and louder than the others, and he changed the "thousand years" to "Billion years." Jason has been in heaven six weeks; compare that to a billion years.
I miss him so much, and I don't have any idea how long it will be before I join him there, but however long I have to live here is no time at all compared to the eternity that I will spend with him.
When we were singing "I'm alive, I'm alive, I'm alive, I'm alive" this morning, I felt like Jason was sending me a personal message. "It's ok Mom, I'm alive--more alive than you are."

1 comment:

Mel said...

Deb,
You continue to amaze me. Your honesty is so encouraging. Glad you had that sweet comfort today.