Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Futility

I Thessalonians 5:1-4
I don't think, friends, that I need to deal with the question of when all this is going to happen. You know as well as I that the day of the Master's coming can't be posted on our calendars. He won't call ahead and make an appointment any more than a burglar would. About the time everybody's walking around complacently, congratulating each other--"We've sure got it made! Now we can take it easy."--suddenly everything will fall apart. It's going to come as suddenly and inescapably as birth pangs to a pregnant woman.
But friends, you're not in the dark, so how could you be taken off guard by any of this? You're sons of Light, daughters of day. We live under wide open skies and know where we stand.

This verse reminds me that we really shouldn't be making plans too far into the future. I don't think we should go through life haphazardly, without direction, but we don't need to focus too much on our "plans" to the point that they become too important to us. Life happens, unexpected things happen; we can't worry enough, we can't plan enough, and truthfully, we can't pray enough to stop life from happening. I don't like the idea that I am cynical right now, but I am. I prayed daily for Jason, prayed for him to have a happy life, prayed for his future, prayed that he would meet a wonderful Christian girl and get married and have a family, but one moment in time took all possibily of that away. I'm not blaming God for what happened; I'm just facing the reality that no matter what I do, what plans I make, what I "want" to happen, I can't change the course of events that will happen on this earth. Fortunately, I am a "daughter of day" which means that when Jesus comes, I will go with Him. That's really the only plan that I need to count on; my job now is to try to see that those I love are ready. I have to pray for God's guidance in this matter. I have been a complete failure up to this point in my life when it comes to leading the lost to Jesus. My mom and I used to talk about how embarrassing it is when the people in our own family who know us the best don't see the truth in us. Because my mom was such an exemplary Christian and she couldn't convince some of her family members to follow Jesus, I can take comfort in knowing that the Holy Spirit is the only one who can do this.
I can be an example and answer questions, but I can't convict a person of their need for salvation. That is God's work.
I thank God daily that Jason was a son of Light and that he is now in heaven waiting for the rest of us.

No comments: