Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Infused with strength

I Thessalonians 3:11-13

May God our Father himself and our Master Jesus clear the road to you. And may the Master pour on the love so it fills your lives and splashes over on everyone around you, just as it does from us to you. May you be infused with strength and purity, filled with confidence in the presence of God our Father when our Master Jesus arrives with all his followers.

What does it mean to be infused with strength and purity? I have not always thought of myself as a strong person and certainly not a pure one. I began thinking of myself as strong when my mom was sick. I had to step up and be the grown up for the first time in my life. See, I was the baby, baby of my family. There was an eight year gap between me and my closest sibling. I was the fun one, the entertainer, the center of attention. I didn't have to handle the big stuff; I got the easy jobs. While Phyllis was cleaning the bathroom, I was dusting the living room. While she was cooking a meal, I would set the table and then sit and talk to her. I know she wanted to kill me, but she didn't. I paid her back when momma got sick; everyone tried to pitch in and help, but I felt like because I was healthier than my siblings and because it was summer and I was off work, I needed to do the lion's share of taking care of her. Thus began my infusion with strength. For many years now I have had no choice but to be strong. My mom died seven years before daddy, so I spent seven years taking care of him while I was also trying to be a decent wife, mother, teacher, Christian. Phyllis and Linda were unable to help much because they were sick, so I was the Lone Ranger. Donna, my niece, helped quite a bit, but she was taking care of her mother, so she was busy. When I think back on those years, I'm not too proud of my attitude--it wasn't too pure. I don't think Daddy ever felt my frustration, but I know my stress spilled over on Tony and the kids.
Daddy was so fortunate that he was able to stay in his own home; he never had to go to a nursing home except for a couple of times after his first knee replacement and again when he broke his hip. Both stays were temporary, so he was ok with the situation.
Jason used to tell me he would put me in "Shady Acres"--don't know where that is, but I know it was a nursing home. At least he was honest about it; I didn't have to wonder what he was thinking.

No comments: