Sunday, November 16, 2008

Music for the soul

I think someone from church must be reading this blog because Sunday morning we sang several "old hymns" including songs that remind me of my childhood in church. They were old words put to new rhythms, but the verses were so familiar. The thing that we noticed was that many of the people around us did not know the words to the old standards like "Tis so Sweet to Trust in Jesus" and "I'll Fly Away." That didn't make me sad; it made me rejoice. These people did not grow up in church, but they are standing beside me each week in worship. Those of us who knew the old songs had a ball singing what I call the "Happy Heaven" songs that were so familiar, but they were not that special to me when I was a kid. As a matter of fact, I probably didn't like them so much when I was younger, but now it IS sweet to trust in Jesus, to take Him at his word, and some glad morning I AM going to fly away.

I Thessalonians 2:10-11
We were never patronizing, never condescending, but we cared for you the way a mother cares for her children. We loved you dearly. Not content to just pass on the Message, we wanted to give you our hearts. And we did.

This passage is reminding the Thessalonians how Paul and his co-laborers felt about the them. I can easily relate to this passage when I think of the children who I have taught through the years. I'm not much of a kid person. I am not comfortable teaching younger ages, but through the years I have taught teens and kids in Sunday school, Wednesday night classes, and VBS. I was always out of my comfort zone if the kids were below high school level, but when you attend a small church, you do what is needed. The thing is, I have a very soft spot toward all of the kids I taught in these classes. There is a connection with them that I don't always have with my students in school. I hope they all know that I love them dearly. Sometimes when I taught kids when they were young and then again when they were in high school in my English class, they seemed to be uncomfortable around me. Believe me there was no need. I was content to "pass on the Message."

2 comments:

Daniel and Jamie said...

Hi Debbie - Just wanted to say Hi and that I'm still reading. I was one of those that you taught in Sunday School and I still think about things that we talked about there. I think I've even asked you before what a prostitute was :)!

Humphrey said...

Thanks for reading Jamie. I know that if you are reading, you are still praying for us. I appreciate it. I remember that day when you ask "the question." Since you and your husband work with youth, I can be assured that you will someday be in just as awkward a situation. Be sure to let me know so that I can laugh. Love you, Debbie