Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Homesickness

I Thessalonians 2:17-19
Do you have any idea how very homesick we became for you, dear friends? Even though it hadn't been that long and it was only our bodies that were separated from you, not our hearts, we tried our very best to get back to see you. You can't imagine how much we missed you.

I've been homesick before. It is an awful feeling--wanting to be home but not being able to get there. Jason went to Washington D.C for FFA's Washington Conference when he was a sophomore. I was so anxious when I went to Guthrie to pick him up; it felt like he had be gone for weeks. The first thing he said to me was, "I didn't want to come home." You see, he had fallen a little bit in love with a girl on the trip. My feelings were so hurt. How could another girl be more important to him that I was?
When I talked to Jason on the phone all during this past year, some days he seemed homesick, others he seemed happy to be where he was. Tony had a health scare in May and spent the night in the hospital. Jason called more often than Allison and Carson together. I think it was because they knew that they could be home in an hour if they needed to be, but he was hours away and felt helpless.
I could tell when he was homesick by his tone of voice. He would ask questions about family, friends, church, school, whatever--just to hear about home. I'm so homesick for him right now, but I know that he is not homesick for this place. That seems strange to me. How could he not want to be here with us? Because Jesus is where he is, and he has a new perspective. He has fallen deeply in love.
One of the books I have been reading compares our birth on earth to our entry into heaven. Everyone is anxious and anticipating the new baby--preparations are made because we know the baby's arrival is imminent. I love the idea that my father-in-law Freddy, my mom and dad, Phyllis, and Linda knew Jason was coming and that they were preparing for him. What I can't fathom is how my family could be happy that he is in heaven when they know that we are experiencing such pain--it's all about that new perspective--time means nothing to them. My mom has been there over twelve years--I assure you she has it all figured out. I'm glad there are no cell phones in heaven. My feelings would be so hurt if I could talk to him and find out that he isn't missing us at all.

1 comment:

K. D. said...

I think that this is a beautiful way to think about this. How ideal is it to think that when we are gone we won't miss home or (here), because that is what everyone worry's about at the time, how much they will miss their loved ones! But in reality when you get to Heaven, you won't think about it that way!