Thursday, November 20, 2008

Stay calm

I Thessalonians 4:11-12

Stay calm; mind your own business; do your own job. You've heard all this from us before, but a reminder never hurts. We want you living in a way that will command the respect of outsiders, not lying around sponging off your friends.

Today is November 20th the two month anniversary of Jason's death. I can't really believe it has already been two months. I told the girls in my class tonight that I am just now remembering the first days after his death. People came to visit that I forgot about; I'll see someone and think "I saw them somewhere recently" and realize that they were at my house either Sunday or Monday of that first week. I remember now talking to them, but those days have been buried in my mind. I thank God for the insulation that He provides.
In response to the verses above, how much trouble would we avoid if we just learned to follow those first pieces of advice. Several years ago we had an inservice that was presented by a retired elementary teacher. I remember walking in and thinking--what does she have to teach a staff of high school teachers? The only thing I remember is her advice to STAY IN YOUR JOB DESCRIPTION. I may think that people are not doing what they should be doing or that they are not doing the job like I think they should, but unless I am their supervisor, it is not my business. Reminding myself of that advice has allowed me to stay calm, mind my own business, and do my own job. I can't say I always follow her advice, but usually I stop myself when I start to be critical of another person. This is good advice at work, in clubs, at church, everywhere. If we would all just do our own jobs--to the best of our ability--our schools, businesses, churches, organizations, etc. would run so much smoother. When we do our best, we command respect.

No comments: