Sunday, December 20, 2009

Pictures

We took family pictures today. I know we have had pictures before without Jason in them, but it seemed like a turning point for us today when the four of us were looking at the camera. I was glad to get the picture, but I can't help but be a little sad.
I had a really good day. My brother, sister-in-law, and niece brought puppies down for my nieces' kids and Allison. We went to Aunt Polly's today for the Humphrey gift exchange. It's so good to have the kids together. Cody and Ashley are here from San Diego, so with Kirby and Beth, Allison, and Carson, all the cousins were together. They crack me up because they banter back and forth like they always have.
Allison and I went to Crystal and Brandon's to see the kids with their new puppies. Nothing is cuter than Laney tying bows around their neck, Kiersten carrying poor little Meadow around, and Ashton and Gavin lying on the floor being attacked by puppies. Anthony, bless his heart, is too grown up to play with the other kids. He sits with me on the couch while playing pac man on Allison's phone. He's way too grown up for his own good.
I thought of Jason all day. It's inevitable that someone will call Carson Jason when we are together, and then there's this awkward silence for a few seconds. I love the fact that everyone is willing to bring up his name, the things he loved, the things he did, the things he said. He is still such a presence with us here.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

This is a great description of how little things unexpectedly bring back that sharp pain of loss. They sort of take your breath away and I'm sure the person who mentions Jason feels awful. But it would be so much worse to not ever hear him mentioned again, right? Pain is better than silence, in my book at least.