Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas 2009

It's December 26, 2009, and Christmas is not over. We still have a family Christmas to attend on Tuesday with Phyllis's kids and grandkids. I always look forward to seeing them. They are growing up so fast.
This year's Christmas has been rough for all of us in Oklahoma. Christmas Eve a blizzard blew in and dumped up to 14" of snow on us. People were stranded on the highways and the interstate system was closed. It didn't bode well for Christmas day. We're lucky enough that our destination of Randy and Cindy's is walking distance from our house, but we were able to get the truck out and enjoy an Indian taco lunch with Randy, Cindy, Cody, Ashley, Aunt Polly, Cindy's parents and Ashley's mom and brothers. Kirby, Beth and Carson were stuck in Piedmont but were able to drive down in the afternoon. Allison was stuck in Stillwater but was able to come home today. So, we opened our "Santa" gifts this afternoon and ate chilli dogs for lunch. Carson's friend Nick joined us.
We have three dogs for the weekend. They are improving each time she visits. At Thanksgiving Allison's dog Capone and our dog Lucy had a couple of run-ins over food and a position at the foot of my bed. Now Allison has Lady, a one year old King Charles Cavalier Spaniel to add to the mix. Amazingly they are all getting along fine.
Christmas Eve night when I realized that the roads were impassable and the kids weren't going to be home for Christmas, I had a little fit. I do that sometimes. Looking back now I realize I again overreacted. Dec. 25th is just a day. There is nothing sacred about that date. The important thing is that we are all safe and warm and that we will eventually get together to celebrate Jesus's birthday.
Many people had to rearrange their traditions this year. My niece whose husband is stationed in Abilene was expecting him to be home for Christmas Eve with all the Santa presents. He couldn't leave, so they had to postpone Santa's arrival until Christmas night. That took some fast talking.
I've been thinking today about Matt Gardner, a member of my Sunday School class. He is somewhere in the Middle East serving our country. My daughter being stranded completely safe in Stillwater is nothing to that.
Some families are experiencing their first Christmas without a loved one this year. I know from experience that traditions change with each death in the family.
I wonder how old I will be when I learn all the important lessons God wants me to learn through the experiences in my life. Patience, Debbie, Patience. The Fruit of the Spirit that we may ask for, but don't want to "learn".

No comments: