Sunday, August 2, 2009

Today's sermon--So meaningful on all levels.

Jimmy has been preaching a sermon series about being connected to the Holy Spirit. Today's sermon spoke to me on so many levels. The heart of the sermon is that by human nature, we are prone to be divisive. In church, at home, at work, we are prone to be divisive, but if we are connected as we should be to the Holy Spirit, we can overcome that divisiveness.
His outline stated that connected people are unified. To be unified we have to think beyond ourselves. Our nature is to be selfish, but if we are serious about building a healthy church, we think beyond ourselves. The music at our church is very contemporary, very loud, completely outside the comfort zone of some of the older people in the church, but it is bringing unchurched people to church. That is what I'm talking about; it's not about me; I'm saved: I'm on my way to heaven. The music shouldn't be pleasing to me (although it is) it should reach out to the people who need Jesus.
Connected people sacrifice. We need to sacrifice our time, money, opinions, attitudes, feelings.
Connected people are authentic with God. There really isn't any other way to be. Quoting my favorite American literary character, "You can't pray a lie." Huck knew, and we should know. God knows our hearts, so we must be completely open with Him.
Last, connected people fear God. That is really the only healthy fear we should have.
Jimmy was talking today about building a healthy church, but I couldn't help thinking about how all of this is true of building a healthy family.
I have several friends who do not speak to their siblings. They are divided by family drama, money, old resentments, etc. Most of these families do not attend church, so I can always say that they need Jesus, but in reality I've also known Christian families who are not united.
As a child I was exposed to two kinds of families. My dad's family was pretty shattered. He spoke to some of his brothers, but not others; He had two sisters, but he didn't see them often. I don't really think he had disagreements with them; he just wasn't close. I only remember him having a close relationship to Gene and Jimmy. He didn't talk bad about the other brothers much; he just didn't go out of his way to spend time with them.
On the other hand, my mom's family was the most united group of people I have ever known. My mom and dad got along with all of my mom's siblings and their spouses. Mom knew all my cousins and their kids, and we knew all of our aunts and uncles well. They were all Christian, but of different denominations. We had Methodist, Baptist, Free Will Baptist, Assembly of God, and Pentecostal. I remember once when I was a kid, we all went to some lake and stayed in a church cabin for several days. We had church on Sunday morning, and it was the real deal. What a witness to me. I believed that the difference between the two families was that Mom's family was Christian and Dad's family was not. I know today that that was not necessarily the case because I know Christian families who do not get along.
I know it has to break God's heart to see families and churches be divided. I can't imagine the pain I would feel if my kids didn't get along. They may not always agree, but they are close. I realize as I get older and witness more and more families, it is not enough for me to pray that my kids marry well; it is also important that they marry people who can get along with one another. I love my sisters-in-law. Peggy and Cindy are like my sisters. I enjoy spending time with Phyllis's widower, Fred, and my brother-in-law, Randy. I love all their kids. That is such a rich blessing and a heritage that is priceless to me.

No comments: