Saturday, August 22, 2009

Beautiful time of year--Can this really be August?

When I see anything advertised that is happening in August in Oklahoma outdoors, my first thought is always, "It will be so hot." Tonight I went to an outdoor concert at the park in Harrah. The band from Harrah Church where I attend was playing at the amphitheater. Talk about a perfect night. It was cool, but not too cool; there was no wind--in Oklahoma; the park looked green; the pond was full and still behind the stage; the mosquitos didn't even show up tonight. Because we were outside, the sound was perfect, not too loud. Perfection. I've been thinking so much about Jason lately. In just a few weeks he will experience his first birthday in heaven. I know time doesn't mean anything in heaven, but I have no other frame of reference to go by. Was tonight a glimpse of what he is experiencing all the time? Music that praises God in a perfect environment. I can only imagine.
Today I heard from a friend of Jason's who found me on facebook. He said that four years ago Jason gave his wife and son his horse, Charley. Charley is now 26 years old and living in Sweetwater, Oklahoma. That sounds like a good place to retire if you're a horse, doesn't it. I didn't really know where Charley was; the last I heard he was at Jason's ex-wife's family's place, and her niece was riding him. I really don't care where he is, I just like knowing he is being enjoyed by a kid.
My thoughts of facing September are consuming me right now. I keep thinking that at this time last year, I could still talk to Jason. Did I talk to him as often as I could? When he called, did I give him my full attention? I hope I did. I know that now when Allison and Carson call, I am attentive, interested in what they have to say, but have I always been that way? Life has taught me so much, but the biggest lesson I have learned is--While we are here on earth, nothing is as important as the relationships we have with those closest to us. They are God-given and God-blessed. Of course, our relationship with Him should be first and foremost in our hearts, but He expects us to share His love with our families.

1 comment:

Mel said...

Deb,
Thanks for the reminder about important relationships. It sure is easy to get caught up in life and miss out. Praying for you daily!