Thursday, July 30, 2009

Tests

Several of our friends and family are facing some of life's greatest tests. I thought that I had been tested before, but losing Jason has been the greatest test of my life. I am determined that I will pass this test. I will remain faithful to the God of creation, I will not give in to the sadness that tries to overcome me, I will continue to be a happy person, I will be the example for my other kids.
What is amazing is that so many of our friends and family are having to "buck up" and face a test themselves. Cancer diagnoses--unexpected divorce, financial loss, death, long-term illness, accidents, loss of home; the list goes on and on.
What is the difference in how we handle these hardships? I may be prejudiced, but I have to admire the way people of faith deal with life.
I know I can never go back to the time before Jason's death, but I will not let his death define me. I have heard statements like, "Well _________has never been the same since__________died."
I will not let my kids say, "Mom was a happy person before Jason died."
"Mom was not bitter until Jason died." "I enjoyed spending time with Mom until Jason died." That is an unacceptable way to live as a Christ follower.
I am still grieving Jason; I will until I see him again, but the important thing is that I will see him again.
All of these people who are experiencing the tough times of life have been a clear witness to me. I want to handle life as a Christ follower should--looking to eternity and knowing that what happens here can cause sadness, stress, sorrow, but what happens here cannot steal our Joy.

1 comment:

Humphrey said...

Do you think it is possible that we are facing these tests because we are all getting older. Nah, that couldn't be it.