Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I am Blessed

I have to remind myself sometimes that I am Blessed. I focus sometimes on the losses in my life and forget about the blessings. Monday I met with friends for lunch in Norman--women that I have taught with but have become some of my dearest friends in life. We ate lunch and sat at our table solving the problems of the world for three hours. Ok, so maybe we didn't get them all solved, but we sure have some great ideas. Then Monday night I spent the night with my friend in Maysville. We stayed up too late and finished solving the problems of the world with some catching up time and some deep spiritual discussions.
During that evening I received a call from one of my retired friends who invited me to lunch on Friday with the other retired teachers and staff. I miss them all so much, but I can't be sad for them not being at the school any longer. They are all enjoying grandchildren and a wonderful time in their lives. I also received calls from both of my kids, just checking in, not needing anything. That's a blessing.
I'm looking forward to lunch Friday and getting their take on the world issues that need to be solved.
Tuesday after my class in Ardmore, I drove down I-35 to Gainsville to meet my nieces and have lunch, then the girls came home with me. We went to the movie last night to see Up. What a fun movie, but I wouldn't have seen it if they hadn't come to stay with me. Today, they have painted plates, and we are going to the Y to swim after our pizza gets here.
Tomorrow they will go to spend some time with their Papa, my sister's widower, before they go back to Midland. Each time they come, I realize how much my sister missed out on. They are sweet, pretty, funny, and she would have loved spending time with them so much. I can't take her place, but I can spend a little time letting them experience some Oklahoma time. Tomorrow we will go to the mall, and I will give them their birthday money since they both have August birthdays, and I will let them buy whatever they want. Halle bought a hair piece one time. She wore it everywhere.
I have been blessed with wonderful family and friends, and I thank God for those blessing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I read your updates consistently deciding that I would leave a comment finally and have to tell you that you bless more people than you know. I would read your blog and being crying but not able to tear myself away...in a way I wanted to feel your pain maybe helping to releave some of yours I guess. In the last couple of weeks due to all the "Celebrity/Media Deaths" I have come across one thought in my mind every day, why do people have to give praise to a person after their death aka memorial? Why wait until then? Why can't you tell that person NOW instead of missing out on that opportunity? You don't know me, I was a senior when Jason was a Freshman and I had such a crush on him, yeah I know...ran into him a few years ago after a long time and made my way to say hi. I am so happy that I did, otherwise I would have regretted it. I sought out and introduced myself to your husband during my daughter's parent teacher conference this past year, just to let him know I was thinking about all of you, a stranger out of nowhere and through the talk I tried not to cry and could see it in his heart he was trying not to also. My daughter came home from school and said, "Mom one of my teachers lost his son today in a carwreck and it is so sad" in which I completely agreed. Then the next day, I realized who she was talking about explaining I went to school with him and thought highly of this man...which made her sad too...because I myself was devastated that world lost him, but happy that God found him. One day, I may introduce myself to you but only to say, "You have more people praying for all of you then you can ever imagine." You are truely blessed, and so are your many readers to have you "in" our lives. You are OUR blessing.

Humphrey said...

Thank you Julie, what a nice way to start my day. Tony told me about your conversation, but of course we didn't know you. Jason was such a great kid and a wonder man. We miss him terribly, but we are coping through this first year. Sometimes I think that I need to quit writing because I think I don't have much to say, but then someone writes something sweet like you just did, and I realize that I need to continue.
God bless you and thank you again.
Debbie