Friday, July 3, 2009

Guest Room

When Allison left home, she told me she wanted her room to stay the same, no ironing board, no sewing machine, no junk. I think I waited long enough. This week I put a double bed in there with new bedding. The headboard and footboard and dresser are the ones that my daddy remade for me. They were given to us by my mom's friend Winnie, and Daddy refinished them, cut them down to a smaller size, and made them more appropriate for a little girl. I don't know how old it is or how old I was when I got it, but I remember how special it made me feel. My dad was a master craftsman; the headboard and footboard are intricately carved. I can't even imagine how long it took him to refinish it. Today I was cleaning them with Murphy's and putting Old English on them. Those smells remind me of my mom. She took very good care of all of our wood furniture and cabinets.
The crux of all of this is that I now have a guest room that will welcome my nieces in a couple of weeks and will be comfortable for Allison when she spends the night. The only thing left to do is to put up new window treatments. I haven't found what I want, so I'm going to wait. That's not usually my way. Usually when I am redoing a room, I will keep plugging until I get it completely finished. I'm trying to be patient and wait for the bargains to show up.
I really like to redo rooms in my house. I makes me feel like I've accomplished something, and causes me to clean out stuff and get rid of junk. One room down, five to go.

No comments: