Saturday, July 4, 2009

Another disturbing movie

Today I finally watched Slumdog Millionaire. From the clips I had seen, I knew it was going to be very difficult to watch. Even though the happy, love-story ending was good, the images that I will always keep in my mind of the poverty, cruelty, and abuse will haunt me for years.
This is why I usually avoid reality-based stories like this. I can't do a thing about the horrible living conditions of the children in India, but I can be thankful that I live in the USA.
I was in an AP workshop several years ago with a women who moved to America from India. She stated over and over that in her country, ALL students take higher math and higher science than their American counterparts. I listened for four days, and on the last day, I couldn't resist. I reminded her that in America we educated all students, but her country only certain children are educated. She never understood what I was talking about; she never acknowledged that there were millions of children in her country who never entered a school, much less took Calculus and Physics. She just kept saying that all of her schoolmates took Calculus, Trig, Physics, and advanced chemistry.
I do think we can do a better job with our public schools, but as long as we continue to teach everyone, I'm going to support free public schools in America.
A private school may take the students they have farther, but they can reject students. We can't.

No comments: