Friday, June 12, 2009

The one that Jesus loved.

This week on my 45 minute commute to Ada, I listened to Beth Moore's study on John, The Beloved Disciple. I have the book too and have worked through most of it. What I really need is to have someone else drive while I listen and work through the book at the same time. I need a chauffeur; that would make my life so much easier. I could get so much more accomplished if I didn't have to drive.
I loved listening to the study. Beth Moore makes such practical application of the scripture. She brings out that James and John were brothers, fishermen, and disciples. I knew all of these things, but I did not realize the significance of their names always being listed with James first. James was older, yet John was tho one that Jesus loved. Throughout the Bible God chooses the unlikely little brother to do wonderful things through. I think because I was the baby of my family, I appreciate this about God's plan. Typically the little ones are not the responsible ones, but God used them and made them responsible. John was on the Mount of Transfiguration and the recipient of the Revelation. John was the one to whom Jesus gave his mother when he was on the cross. John outlived all of the other apostles; don't you think he wondered why he was spared when all the rest were killed. The reason--God needed him to go to Patmos so that he could receive the Revelation so that we could get a glimpse of heaven through John's eyes. I'm so glad John remained faithful even during his exile. I wonder if I would have. Would my thoughts have been so self-centered that God would have let someone else have the vision. I pray that I wouldn't. I don't know how many years I have on this earth, but I pray that I will never become so self-absorbed that God skips me and allows someone else to have the blessing.

No comments: