Thursday, June 4, 2009

Awkward Conversation

Lately a conversation has come to my mind from the night Jason died. We were awakened by the sherrif's deputies about 3:00 AM Sunday morning. They gave me a number to call the highway patrolman in Nebraska who had worked the accident. I called him, and he gave me the details of the accident that he knew. He also told me that Jason was an organ donor, so we would be hearing from the organ donation people very quickly. I remember thinking that night that I wouldn't want to have the job of notifying a family of an accident like the deputies or talking to someone's next of kin on the phone after a fatality accident. Very soon after the deputies left, we received the first call from the organ donation people. At the time I couldn't compose myself enough to talk to them, so I asked them to call later. Randy and Cindy had just arrived at our house, so we were all a mess at the moment.
A couple of hours later the lady called back. Now I know the worst job of all--the person who has to call the next of kin and ask them thirty minutes worth of questions after a loved one has died. I wanted to cooperate because organ donation is very dear to my heart. My sister Phyllis was a candidate for a lung transplant before she became too ill to go through the procedure.
If you have ever given blood, you have an idea of the kind of questions that the poor girl had to ask me, Jason's mother. I kept reminding her that I did not know the answers to her questions, but she proceeded as she was instructed.
She got to the questions about tatoos which has caused me to smile lately. She asked if Jason had any tatoos; I said yes. She asked where the tatoo was on his body; I said on his upper arm (I didn't remember which one). She ask me what the tatoo was; I answered, "It was Yosemite Sam." Don't you know Jason was laughing his head off at the awkwardness of this conversation. I hope if there is a filter between here and heaven, and he can see some of what we are experiencing here, that he could hear just that part of the evening. The rest of that night and the next week were excruciating to us, but just as he always could, Jason brought a little levity into a bad situation.

No comments: