Monday, June 29, 2009

Disturbing Movie

Last week I saw The Soloist with Jamie Foxx and Robert Downey Jr. Both are such terrific actors. In this movie Foxx played a real character, Nathaniel Ayers, who lives in Los Angeles. He is a gifted musician who attended Julliard for two years. During his second year he began hearing voices and could no longer play with the orchestra. At the beginning of the movie, he is homeless and playing a violin with only two strings. Robert Downey Jr. plays a reporter who tries to help him. He begins writing stories about him for the newspaper and gets a cello donated. He tries to help Nathaniel, tries to get medication for him, gets him an apartment, introduces him to musicians of influence in LA. At the end of the movie, statements appeared on the screen that told that there are 90,000 homeless people in Los Angeles. That's three times the population of Shawnee. This is America. That shouldn't be, but the movie pointed out that Nathaniel had family who had tried to help him. He needed daily medication, but there was no way to be certain that he would take it if he had it.
I haven't been able to get this movie off my mind.
I have heard that most homeless people are there by choice or because of mental illness. I am so thankful for the people like those in the movie that provide meals and services for these people, but it seems that we should do more.
I guess that's why I avoid movies like this, you know, movies that make us see the grim realities of genocide, poverty, homelessness, It took me years to get up the courage to watch Schlinder's List, and I have yet to watch Slumdog Millionaire. When I see stories that I know depict things that are still going on, I am so troubled that I can't get it off my mind. The thing that disturbs me is that I don't do anything about it. I just get distressed. I don't go to OKC or even Shawnee to see if I can help the homeless. I think I am afraid of experiencing what Robert Downey Jr's character discovered. Helping these people is frustrating, disappointing, dirty, eye-opening, and heart breaking because you become emotionally involved. That's what I avoid, emotional involvement. I will write a check, donate clothes, shoes, blankets, etc., but I don't go to the shelter.
This year my niece took some snacks and school supplies to a homeless shelter in OKC for the school age children who live there.
I have been too blessed in my life. I can't even imagine not being able to provide a home, clothing, and an after-school snack for my children.

No comments: