Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Killer Day

Today kicked my rear. I left home at 6:05 and got home at 4:00 which wasn't so much different than a regular school day; however, the wait time in between classes was looooooong. I had a class at 7:30 that lasted all of thirty minutes. Luckily, I only meet that class two more times this month, and we agreed to meet at noon those days. SOOOOO, from 8:00 until 1:20 I just killed time. I picked up my books, read, went to Wall's and prowled around, ate lunch, drove out to Wintersmith Park, watched the geese, read some more, almost took a nap in the car, then went to class.
The class is going to be a killer. I have to have four kids to work with, a pre-schooler, one who has finished second grade, a middle schooler, and a high school student. All but the pre-schooler should be a student who struggles with reading. Besides spending twelve hours each week in class, I have to spend at least five hours with each of these kids. I'm so glad my mornings are free and that Tecumseh has summer school going. Surely I can find some kids who could benefit from some one-on-one time. I really would prefer just reading books and taking tests, but I know that this experience will tell me whether I can help kids who don't read well. I have focused all of my studies on secondary students, so the work with the elementary will be new to me. Since I have already passed the certification test, I just have to get through this summer, and I will be qualified to change jobs. Who would ever think that at 54 I would be looking at a new career.

No comments: