Monday, February 23, 2009

Facebook Friendships

Almost immediately after Jason's death, the kids told me about a Facebook page dedicated to his memory. I forgot about it for several months; in January I joined facebook and began making connections with those who had joined the page. I am absolutely amazed by the number of people who have become my friends. Friends from high school, college, work, former students, church friends, Jason's friends that I have never met.
I do have a rule that I won't be friends with my current students. A high school diploma is required. I usually wait for others to request my friendship instead of my requesting because some of Carson and Allison's friends might not want me to know too much about their lives.
What I love most is seeing how great so many of my former students are doing. Some are married, raising children, working at interesting places, involved in great things, and serving God in multiple capacities. Through Facebook the students I had in class together are able to keep in touch which is truly a good thing.
They make me proud.

No comments: