Thursday, September 3, 2009

Quilts

For the past two weeks a group of ladies have been meeting in the high school home ec room to make tshirt quilts for Mr. Blue and Mr. Capps and their wives. We have made five quilts in four nights. I think now that we have a system down, we could go faster if we all would do a few tasks at home. We have had a ball. We've laughed, and worked, and laughed, and visited, and laughed... Most, not all, of these women are my age or older with no kids at home. I think there is a void in our lives. Women need girls' nights sometimes, and the turnout we have had is evidence that there is a need in our community for something for us to do with our talents. Many of the women would come in saying, "Now I don't sew, but I want to help." So they would iron, cut out t-shirt fronts and backs, lay out the quilt design, pin the top to the lining. We all have had a fire kindled to make our own kids' shirts into quilts, and since it is so much fun to work together, we may meet to put together the quilts and help one another.
I have attended some women's Bible studies in the past, and I enjoy them very much, but there was something about working together for a cause that was very rewarding. I can study the Bible on my own, but I can't make five quilts in four nights alone.
I think I can understand the draw that women used to have to have quilting bees. Those women didn't have the means of communication that we have today, but they needed face-to-face interaction just as we need today.
All I know is that I'm gathering the t shirts for my kids' quilts because when we have another night, I want to be able to say, "My shirts are ready to piece together."

1 comment:

Mel said...

It was really fun!