Thursday, September 10, 2009

More sweet memories

Last night's post triggered some strong, vivid memories for me. When Jason was about three months old, Tony would put him on his back on our bed and bounce the bed. Jason would laugh outloud every time. He loved it. Tony tried it with Allison when she was that same age, and she puckered up and screamed, grabbing at the air trying to find something to hold on to. Don't tell me you can raise boys and girls the same.
Jason was rough and ready from the moment he bacame mobile. He crawled so fast that he could be into something before you even realized he was gone. He played hard and then fell asleep where he was. I have pictures of him asleep in his highchair and standing next to the couch with his feet on the floor and his head lying on the couch sound asleep, and just in random places on the floor.
He had the sweetest blond curly hair that we didn't cut until he was about 18 months. He went from a baby to a little boy in one haircut.
He had an impish side that was obvious from the gleem in his eyes. For some reason he loved to empty things, his toybox, his diaper bag, anything that you put something in, he would empty.
One memory that still makes me laugh happened the first week we moved to Wellston. Jason was 17 months old when we moved there. He and I had made a trip to Edmond and had just returned home when two ladies from the First Christian Church came to visit and bring us a "welcome to Wellston" cake. I had just brought all the groceries into the house, and they were still in bags on the dining area floor. I was trying to pay attention to our guests who later became very dear friends. Deanna Braziel and Betty Ivey and I were trying to get acquainted, and Jason was taking all the groceries out of the bags. He was carrying cans, boxes, etc. everywhere. I was so embarrassed, but now I can just laugh. I would go pick him up, move him to the living room, try to get him playing with his toys, and he would head back to the kitchen. He was one stubborn kid.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Debbie, Jason was just a little boy when I was in Wellston but I completely remember that mischievous side. I remember him as a very cute boy with curly hair who reminded me of Huck Finn. I remember him smiling and having that twinkle in the eye, like "I'm up to something. It's probably not too bad but I'm still up to something."