Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Whispers in scripture.

I am reading Max Lucado's book For the Tough Times. In Chapter 8 he discusses death from God's perspective. There are some Bible verses that have troubled me ever since my mother died. "For the dead in Christ shall rise..." Taken out of context of the entire scripture, this sounds like they are in limbo until then. I want to think of my family members who have passed on living together in heaven. This book gives me solid answers for my questions. Many times when I have voiced this question and the doubts in my mind, people have reminded me of the thief on the cross. "Today you will be with me in paradise." I love the way Max explains this theology. He says, When speaking about the period between the death of the body and the resurrection of the body, the Bible doesn't shout; it just whispers."

For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far. (Phil. 1:21-23 NIV)

Now I am mixing Lucado's words with mine.
It is right for us to weep, but there is no need for us to despair. They had pain here (Jason's body hurt from years of riding horses; this time of year he would have been suffering greatly with allergies.) They struggled here (Jason lived with a great deal of frustration after his divorce.) He has no pain or struggles there. I may wonder why God took him home. But he doesn't. He understands. He is, at this very moment, at peace in the pressence of God.

I don't know how much time will pass before I join him in heaven, but I do know this. He is not missing me. He is living in paradise, with people that he loved here on this earth and with Jesus. I will always miss Jason; for the remainder of my days I will regret his death, but that is the very human, selfish side of me. Why exactly would I want him to come back to this horrible and wonderful place? I'll tell you why--because I am human and selfish. \
I can't possible erase the grief, but I can continue to read God's word and the words of Godly men and women who will help me get through it. I've said it before--I'm so glad I am a reader. I have benefitted greatly from the books that I've read in every troubling situation.

No comments: