Thursday, May 7, 2009

Summer School Blues

I went to Ada this afternoon to enroll in summer school for the last time. I thought I was going to be able to finish my master's in June, but one of the classes I need isn't offered until July, so now I will be in class all summer. The worst part is that the July class is offered only in Ardmore--about 1 hour and 45 minutes from my house according to mapquest. It is a blended class, so I will only have to attend two days a week, but that's a long commute. Oh well, I can do anything for four weeks, right?
I can't believe I will be finished this summer. It really doesn't seem like I have been going that long--two summers and three semesters. With all that has happened in our family, I am amazed that I have been able to concentrate at all. Really it has helped to have something to focus on. I may have a doctorate before I'm finished.
I have to laugh when I think of how Jason responded when I told him I was going back to school. WHY---YYYY? Like I had lost my mind and was way too old to be attending classes. I have been the oldest one in my class most of the time, but I certainly have more time to study than those who are raising their children right now and teaching. That's why I waited to get my master's. I didn't want to miss out on anything my kids were doing, so going to class was out of the question.
I have fond memories of following my kids around to ballgames, horse shows, pig shows, choir, church events, etc. It was sometimes exhausting, but I always felt like I was exactly where I needed to be. Now I am attending classes and challenging my mind with new methods of teaching.
I just hope I can change jobs to use what I have learned. Finishing in July will probably make that impossible for next year. Oh well, what will be will be.

1 comment:

Mel said...

Man, that stinks about all summer. I will drive or ride with you if you ever want company. You just let me know!