Thursday, April 30, 2009

Rough week

I'm ready for Friday. This has been a rough week. First, on Monday I went to Coach Webb's funeral. Then Wednesday we had a "Don't Drink and Drive" event at the high school. The original plans had to be changed because it was raining buckets all morning. We were supposed to go outside and watch emergency vehicles pull kids out of a simulated wreck. The kids were dressed in prom dresses and supposed to have come from an after prom party. Because of the rain they just read a narrative of the accident over the intercom. Then in the afternoon we had a mock funeral for a girl who was supposed to have been killed. They had a coffin, flowers, everything. Don't worry; my friends took care of me. They had already made arrangements to cover my classes before I even heard of the events. I stayed in my room with the kids who didn't want to attend. Some of them just don't want to face reality, but some of them have lost family members recently, and they were advised to stay in my room with me. It wasn't very long, but I hope it was powerful enough to get the kids' attention. They had the kids walk by the open coffin and look inside to see a mirror.
I'm so tired of having these kinds of events. Every year we schedule anti-drug and anti-underage drinking assemblies, and every year I attend a funeral of a former student who I know attended these assemblies. People are thick-headed. They think it won't happen to them, but I have looked at the faces of the heart-broken parents, siblings, fiances, and friends. What will make a real difference?
Some of my colleagues have come from our grade school or middle school. They are so frustrated because the very students who swore they would never, never take drugs, drink while they underage, or drive impaired are now noted partiers.
I have always hated alcohol--not because I think drinking is sinful--but because alcohol destroys lives.
If one kid listened and learned from yesterday's activities, it was worth it.

No comments: