Sunday, May 31, 2009

Summer Again

I haven't posted in a while because I have been busy, out of town, tired, busy again, and now it is Sunday night May 31st, and I finally have a breather.
The last weeks of school were hectic; I was senior sponsor, so I missed three of the last four days of class and left for New Orleans the night of graduation. I went with the academic team to a competition in the Big Easy, but there was nothing Easy about our trip. First, we drove twelve hours to get there, then we walked and walked, and ate and ate, and walked and walked, and ate some more, and then drove twelve hours home. It took me two days to get over the trip. I had a few things to finish up at school when I got back, then I went to Stillwater to help my kids move. Actually I didn't do much helping, but I shopped for the things that they will both need since they will no longer be living together. I hope they are both happy living alone; they seem to be excited about it. Since they both have dogs, they won't be completely alone. Allison will be well-protected by Capone, her pitt. No one has to know that he is the sweetest dog in the world; his bark sounds vicious. Since Carson's dog is a basenji (a barkless dog), he will just be company.
Ok, back to New Orleans, I don't think I am a New Orleans kind of girl. The food was wonderful, I enjoyed the WWII museum, the swamp tour, Preservation Hall (great Jazz), the garden district and (strangely enough) cemetery tour. What I was uncomfortable with were the number of people I saw who live in desperate situations. People asking for money, scamming, looking for a handout brings out the worst in all of us. I wanted so much to give money to some of them, but I didn't. My fear and doubt took over my compassion. One man in particular who first asked us for a cigarette then told us that he had been drinking since he was thirteen, has HepC, scirrosis, and was in New Orleans because they had a VA hospital. He was crossing the river to sleep on a park bench on the Algiers side because the police will leave him alone. If I had had cash on me, I would have given him some money, but I carried very little cash with me on the street. Life sure has a way of beating people up.
Our Sunday School lesson was on Sufficient Grace. I really don't think I ever understoon that phrase until I studied this lesson in light of Jason's death. No matter what happens in this life, God's grace is sufficient. I once thought that the loss of a child would be too much for me to bear. I miss him, but I am so thankful for God's grace, for the knowledge that he is in heaven and through God's grace, I will someday be with him for all time. I'm not saying I won't have sad days sometimes when I miss him so much that I can't concentrate on anything else, but I am saying that God's grace is sufficient.
This week I start summer school. I will have my Master's in July. If you are reading this and you are a praying person, pray that I will know what to do with my career. I need a change.

No comments: