Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day 2009

I thought I had experienced the most painful Mother's Day the year after my mom died. My sisters and I had a difficult time celebrating, but since we were all mothers, we had to "suck it up" and celebrate with our families. This year was much worse.
For years after my mom died, I avoided shopping in May. All the Mother's Day displays and cards just made me sad. This year I have been too busy to shop, so I guess it kind of crept up on me.
My family tried to make the weekend as good as it could be for me. Friday I received a beautiful bouquet of fresh flowers from Janna, Halle, and Savana. Of course, Friday night was Relay, so I was distracted by activity. Saturday was the day to recuperate from Relay. Sunday morning slapped me with the surprise emotions about 5:00.
I made it through Sunday School and church by knowing that people were praying for me. It helped me that Allison and Carson joined me for church. My sister-in-law, Cindy, volunteered to have the dinner at her house which I appreciated very much. All of the family were there and a couple of my friends from church joined us. We had a very nice visit. Allison and I planned to go to the movie Sunday evening, but we both fell asleep and missed it. Really, I didn't mind. It was nice just to visit with her and sleep for a while.
I graded research papers Sunday night until very late and got up early Monday morning to finish them.
I really am in good shape for the end of school. I have a very small stack of papers to grade, some assignments that will be due Friday, and finals to make out. I really don't have much choice but to be caught up. Since I am senior sponsor, I will be out of school three days next week, so I have to get things ready for a sub.
I leave for New Orleans at midnight after graduation to accompany the academic team to a national tournament.
I have learned that keeping busy is better for me. The worst two times I have had so far were Christmas and Spring Break--too much time to think about Jason. I may have to work until I die.

No comments: