Saturday, May 16, 2009

Chiseled in Stone

Vern Gosdin had a country song called "Chiseled in Stone" that had a line, "You don't know lonley til it's chiseled in stone." Tony and I discovered the truth of that statement this morning. I have made it a habit of driving by the cemetery several times a week to see if Jason's headstone has been set. This morning on the way back from our weekly trip to Hardesty's, we drove by and saw that it was there. I guess it was put up yesterday afternoon because I was by there Thursday.
We drove in to see it. I thought I had prepared myself for seeing his name in granite. After all I selected the stone, decided what we would put on it, paid for it, saw the computer generated picture of it, but nothing prepared me for seeing my son's name on a headstone. Tony and I both cried all the way home, something that hasn't happened in a while.
I went to Walmart to buy flowers so that it would have new flowers in the vase and went back out there. The second trip was somewhat easier. I didn't cry, but the heaviness in my chest will not go away.
I think I have to face a grim reality. For the remainder of my life, I will miss Jason. Even though the pain will lessen with time, it will never go away. Every time I hear that one of his friends is getting married, having a baby, living life, I feel a sadness that reminds me that his future was cut short. I was told that I will grieve the future. That is such a profound truth. I wanted so much for him to marry, have children, enjoy being an uncle. Now that I have seen his name chiseled in stone, I am reminded that his days on this earth are over, and I am lonely.

1 comment:

Jimmy said...

Debbie,

I cannot imagine what your pain is like. I've often heard parents say that losing a child is the hardest thing a human can face. I believe it! My heart is with you and I am encouraged to know that you are learning as you walk this difficult path. As you process the grief of the perishable future be sure to remind yourself often of the imperishable future that awaits us all!

With a pastors love,

Jimmy