Monday, April 27, 2009

RIP--NOT

I went to Coach Webb's funeral today. It was a nice service with a huge crowd as I expected it to be. I saw many former faculty members, students, and parents of students. The highlight of the service for me was when the minister opened it up for others to speak. Several people told funny, heartwarming stories that were the essence of Ron Webb. That's what a funeral should be, especially for a Christian person who is enjoying heaven while we are down here grieving. If I had spoken, I would have said that we who taught with Ron were so glad when he finally retired because we had a chance at Trivial Pursuit with him out of the game. That man knew so much about so many topics; he was unbeatable. If you put Ron and Kathy Gilmore on a team, the rest of us didn't have a chance, so with Ron and Kathy retired, the remaining faculty members could compete with one another.
One thing I have noticed since Jason's death that I never thought of before is the overuse of RIP. Rest in Peace--what does that mean anyway? I think it may have something to do with the idea that spirits don't rest if they are troubled, but I don't believe it is a phrase that should be said about a Christian. Ron Webb, Jason Humphrey, my parents, my sisters are NOT resting in peace. They are having a blast in heaven experiencing wonders that we can't even imagine.
We're the ones who need to rest; they don't. They are having a blast in bodies that do not feel pain, do not have cancer, do not need medicine with horrible side effects.
So let's put to rest the RIP comments and begin telling our loved ones in heaven to Live it up, forever.

No comments: