Saturday, January 3, 2009

See right through us.

John 2:23-25
During the time he was in Jerusalem, those days of the Passover Feast, many people noticed the signs he was displaying and, seeing they pointed straight to God, entrusted their lives to him. But Jesus didn't entrust his life to them. He knew them inside and out, knew how untrustworthy they were. He didn't need any help in seeing right through them.

The idea that someone can see right through us is intimidating. We can put on a pretty good show superficially that makes people believe that we are "good." No matter how well I know my friends and family and they know me, we still keep some thoughts, ideas, attitudes private. I think I know why. It is because we can't forgive AND forget like Jesus can. He casts our sins as far as the east is from the west; they are covered in his blood, so they are gone forever. As humans we don't do that. If someone reveals something to us, we may forgive them, but we keep the knowledge of their "sin" tucked away in our memory just in case. We may not completely trust them because we know too much.
That's one thing that I think will be different in heaven. I certainly hope that when I get there, my memory of my sins and the knowledge of other people's sin are completely deleted.
I'm so thankful that I serve a God who can see right through me, and all He sees is His blood.

No comments: