Monday, January 5, 2009

God-pointing, God-revealing acts

John 3:1-2
There was a man of the Parasee sect, Nicodemus, a prominent leader among the Jews. Late one night he visited Jesus and said, "Rabbi, we all know you're a teacher straight from God. No one could do all the God-pointing, God-revealing acts you do if God weren't in on it."

I wish God would still perform miracles now the way He did in the Bible times. I know that if He wanted to, He could, but He wants us to accepts things on faith. After Jason's death several things happened that I considered to be God-revealing acts, but they weren't miracles. They were comforting then, but I seem to have lost that wonder. Now I am reading, searching, looking for some of the reassuring "signs" that were so obvious to me then.
I am also trying to remember the wonderful gift that Jason was to us. I don't want to make him a saint, he wasn't, but he was a joy to have as a son. As a little boy, he was funny because he was so grown up. We used to say that he was never a child. He didn't play with toys. When all the other boys his age were collecting Star Wars men and the stuff to go with them, Jason was playing with his Breyer horses and playing ball. That was enough for him. He was happiest when he was playing near the arena at his Grandad's barn. When other little boys pretended to be playing in the World Series or Super Bowl, Jason would pretend to be competing in the World Show.
Even in the last year while he was working on the ranch, he would sometimes call to tell me about the "sure nuff" cowboy work that he was involved in. He loved it. I think if someone said, "Hey, Jason, we're going to drive this herd from Nebraska to Ft. Worth. You want to come with us." He would have packed his gear and been the first one ready to go.
What does any of this have to do with today's scripture? Nothing, I'm just remembering what a great kid he was and what a great man he grew to be. When I think about what he is doing in heaven, I can't help but think that he is riding, driving cattle, doing the work he loved with his Grandad.
In the book The Shack the main character is able to watch his daughter playing in heaven from a distance. That's the kind of miracle I would really love to experience. It would be like watching an old western without the heat, cold, dust, cattle rustlers, rattlesnakes, and other dangers.

No comments: