Friday, October 2, 2009

Wisdom of Solomon

Proverbs 2: 9-15
So now you can pick out what's true and fair,
find all the good trails.
Lady Wisdom will be your close friend,
and Brother Knowledge your pleasant companion
Good Sense will scout ahead for danger,
Insight will keep an eye out for you,
They'll keep you from making wrong turns,
or folowing the bad direction.

Wisdom, knowledge, and good sense--do we need anything else. Some might add Faith, but if you have true wisdom, knowledge, and good sense, faith is a natural result.
I have spent my adult life as an educator, and I have taught some brilliant students. Many of the most brilliant academically have also been very wise, but some have not been. As a parent, I would prefer my children be wise over brilliant. I want them to use the good sense that I know they are capable of using. According the this passage Good Sense will scout ahead. That's what it takes; thinking through all the possibilities. Some kids can do that; some have to learn the value of doing it by ignoring warning signs and other people's experiences.
Those are the ones that learn everything the hard way. They will not look at anyone else's experience and learn a lesson that prevents them from going the same direction.
That is frustrating to me as a parent and a teacher, but can you imagine how frustrated God must be with us. We have the Bible for an example, but we don't read it carefully and often enough to have what we read impact our choices. That's not very wise, is it?

No comments: