Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Different kind of post

Tonight my post is going to be different from the kind I usually post. I just returned from the Relay for Life of Tecumseh Committee Meeting. We met tonight to begin planning the Relay event that will take place May 14th 2010. We chose "Knock Cancer out of the Park" for our theme this year, so everybody get your baseball team ideas together and prepare for a fun night.
I'm linking this post to my Facebook page because I have too much to share to just put it in little word bites.

First, on a personal note,
My reason to relay:
1.My cousin Kimberly Rider died of leukemia when I was in high school. If Kimberly had been born a little later, she probably would not have died from her cancer. Research has made the diagnosis of childhood leukemia change from a death sentence as it was in the late 60's early 70's when Kimberly was sick to a conquerable disease.
2. My life-long friend Shirley Walck is a two-time cancer survivor. I walk every year celebrating the almost 20 years since Shirley's first diagnosis. She has two beautiful grandchildren who would have missed out on a terrific Granna if research had not made breast cancer survivable.
3. I have so many dear friends who are battling cancer and some wonderful friends that have lost their battle with cancer in whose honor I walk. I know I will miss someone, but I will list the ones that come to my mind tonight.
Sharyl Patten, Jame Blue, Roy Capps, Bob Trousdale, Blake Matlock, Natalie O'Dell, Terry O'Rorke, Sharon Warden, and Shelby Elred's mother are all fighting right now. I can't do much to help them in their fight, but I can feel that I am actively doing something for them by being involved in Relay.
Kimberly Rider, Cheryl Sing, Ron Webb, my aunts, Reet and Mary, are now in heaven, and I feel an obligation to continue the fight so that other people who get the kind of cancer that took their lives will survive.
3. Relay is fun. I have made so many wonderful friends out of acquaintances through Relay for Life of Tecumseh. Many of the people I have worked with for the past several years are people I knew casually; now I know them well, and we have a blast whether we are planning for Relay or actually participating.
Now for the plea. If you have never been involved in a Relay for Life, make this the year to get involved. Join an already existing team, or make a new team. Come to the next meeting at Tecumseh's City Hall on November 10th at 6:30 and check out how easy it is to have a team. You can always call me to see what all is involved. My cell in 820 6370.
By the way my job this year is the On-Line Chair because they needed someone who likes to communicate on-line. Why did everyone look directly at me when they came to that job?

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Because you're so good at facebook!