Saturday, October 17, 2009

Rivalry

I've noticed something lately. There are few friendly rivalries. Republicans and Democrats say terrible things about one another. Baseball fans not only hate their teams' rivals, they hate all the fans of their rivals. Today is another Saturday of the college football season. Texas beat OU this afternoon in a really good game. Even though I am an OSU fan, I can cheer for OU too. I didn't go to either school; I'm an OSU fan because my kids went to OSU, but I really have no reason to hate OU and their fans. I've become sensitive to insensitivity. We are becoming a people with no tolerance for anyone who doesn't agree with us.
We see it in religious differences. I'm a devoted Christian, but I can't hate people of another faith. I just don't believe the way they believe. Is there any possibility of my being able to witness to a person who I have treated unkindly. NO. If I want to be a witness for the meek and humble Jesus, I have to let go of any arrogance that I may project.
Jimmy preached about heaven a few years ago. He gave me a completely different view of heaven in that series, but one thing I remember is that he believes there might be competition in heaven. For competition to be in a perfect place with sinless people is difficult to imagine because we have become so accustomed to trash talk and in-your-face athletics. It doesn't have to be that way.
I look back at my behavior when my kids were competing, and I'm ashamed. I wasn't always a good witness to others. I probably won't be challenged again unless I have grandchildren someday, and I am able to attend their games. If you are reading this and you ever see me act like a fool at a game again, hold me accountable. Remind me that I want to be a good witness.

No comments: